Transport Day 2014
The motto for this year’s Transport Day is “Transport Tackles Climate Change @ Transport Day 2014”.
The BtG/SLoCaT event will be part of COP20 on Sunday 7th December 2014 at Sheraton Hotel, Lima, Peru. International experts, the scientific community and Parties will demonstrate the potential contribution of land transport in climate change mitigation and adaptation. There, TRANSfer will hold a breakout session on NAMAs and MRV.
TRANSfer’s breakout session will provide an overview on the status quo of t-NAMA development, based on the brand new t-NAMA report. Based on the results we will discuss usefull tools to operationalize MRV and share practical experiences as t-NAMAs gradually move from concept to implementation.
The motto “Transport Tackles Climate Change” derived from a call of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action (ADP) for a more active integration of successful mitigation efforts into the deliberations on a new global climate change agreement. It follows up on Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s appeal for “bold pledges that can scale – up and deliver concrete action that will close the emissions gap and put the global community on track for an ambitious legal agreement through the UNFCCC process”.
Therefore, Transport Day 2014 has the following objectives:
- To demonstrate the contribution that land transport can make to mitigation and adaptation, specifically in the context of climate change, the UNFCCC negotiations and sustainable development;
- To promote the integration of (land) transport in policy making on climate change mitigation and adaptation under the UNFCCC;
- To ensure that evolving modalities for financing, including NAMAs and the Green Climate Fund, MRV, capacity building, and technology transfer under the UNFCCC are appropriate for the transport sector.
- Promote tools and technologies that Parties can use to help achieve low carbon trans port and the reduction of transport infrastructure and service vulnerability to extreme weather events
- For more information on Transport Day: http://www.transport2020.org/event/47/transport-day-2014
- For more information on other TRANSfer events at COP20: http://transport-namas.org/transfer-at-cop-20/